Once again, retail stores in Toronto and Peel are facing another lockdown. While their doors may be closed, they are still open for business. With many independent retailers offering services like curbside pickup and local delivery, you can still shop your nearby favorites online and have them in-hand in no time—all while supporting your local economy.
So whether you’re checking holiday gifts off your list or getting a little something for yourself, explore our roundup of local Toronto businesses you can support today.
Table of contents
Gifts for the stylish
This giftee is your personal style icon. Maybe you constantly ask them “Where’d you get that from?” or “What brand is that?” These retail businesses are the perfect shopping options for the stylish folks in your life.
- Philistine - Men’s and women’s apparel, accessories, and fun gifts
- Park & Province - Casual and contemporary menswear
- Province of Canada - Leisurewear
- Good Neighbour - Men’s and women’s apparel, accessories, and homeware
- Lost & Found - Men’s contemporary apparel
- Get Fresh Company - Men’s clothing and apparel
- Mini Mioche - Environmentally conscious baby clothing
- Kotn - Unisex apparel and they’ve just launched their brand new home collection
Gifts for the homebodies (a.k.a. everyone right now)
With a second lockdown, folks in the GTA are staying home and staying safe. From sustainable to funky, check out these home goods stores that will have you making the most of staying in.
- Rose City Goods - Sustainable and retro inspired home goods and decor
- Yummi Candles - Deliciously scented candles for every occasion
- Labour of Love - Gift shop, housewares, and jewelry
- Bettencourt Manor - Antique furniture and housewares shop
- Romni Wools - Natural fibre yarns, knitting, crochet, and weaving supplies
Gifts for the foodies
It’s no secret that Toronto is a major foodie destination. Have a friend who’s always talking about their sourdough starter? Obsessed with cooking incredible meals at home? These stores offer incredible options to get creative in the kitchen.
- Knife Toronto - Japanese knives, cutting boards, and accessories
- The Spice Trader - Premium quality spices, herbs, and cooking essentials
- Cocktail Emporium - Bar and cocktail essentials
- Kitten and the Bear - Artisanal preserves, teas, and treats
- Henrietta Lane - Locally curated and housemade goods
- Cookery - Kitchen and cooking essentials and home goods
Gifts for the quirky ones
Do you ever come across a completely unique item and think, “I have to have this”? Each of these stores provide beautifully curated collections of one-of-a-kind products for every need. From eclectic stationery and candles, to sustainable gadgets, these general stores will have you buying for friends, family, and yourself.
- Likely General - Artist-focused shop, primarily selling work and expressions of women, marginalized, queer, and non-binary artists
- Easy Tiger Goods - An eclectic array of jewelry, gifts, and paper goods
- Loversland - Bridal gifts and accessories
- Logan & Finley - Eco-conscious general store
- Collected Joy - Homegoods, stationery, apothecary, and other gifts
- Crying Out Loud - Books, apothecary, homegoods, and puzzles
Gifts for the natural beauties
Beauty comes in many forms. For these stores, it comes in many products. For the beauty and skincare obsessed, purchasing from these stores will have you glowing with excitement.
- Health Hut - Environmentally friendly health and beauty products
- Propr Life + Style - Korean skin care and beauty products
- The Detox Market - Green beauty products including skincare, makeup, hair, and more
Gifts for the artsy type
With the holiday season, comes time for rest and relaxation. What better way to embrace a season of magic and wonder, than with a brand new book or record? Cozy up, get comfortable, and unwind with some fantastic options from these independent stores.
- TYPE Books - Books, stationery, and gifts for every occasion
- Sonic Boom - Records, CDs, DVDs, books, and gifts
Gifts for the green thumbs
Plants and flowers make people happy. Not only do they improve air quality in your home, but they can also enhance the appearance of your space. Get the plant lover (or plant newbie) a new friend for their home.
- Jomo Studio - Plants, pots, garden tools, and workshops
- Coriander Girl - Full-service florist offering bouquets, plants, and pots
- Dynasty Plants - Plants, pots, and accessories
Gifts for the pet lovers
Have that one friend who has an Instagram account for their pet? Look no further. For furry friends of all sizes, check out these local pet stores and delight the pet-obsessed with a new toy, treat, or outfit.
- Pet Cuisine & Accessories - Pet food, apparel, and accessories for large and small animals
- Timmie Doggie Outfitters - Holiday themed toys, treats, and apparel
Still having trouble finding the perfect gift? Consider supporting one of these businesses with a gift card and let your giftee decide!
Want to add to the list? If you'd like to have your favourite Toronto or Peel retail stores listed, mention them in the comments and we’ll get them added! 👇