At Shopify, we’re committed to making it as seamless as possible for businesses to start and run their ecommerce operations. This means localizing experiences in a way that caters to the requirements of millions of businesses across the globe.
With this in mind, we’re introducing billing in Indian Rupees on Shopify! Merchants will now be able to pay their Shopify bills in their local currency, making the first step towards ecommerce easier for Indian merchants.
This will not only simplify billing by processing your Shopify bills in the currency you operate in, it will also eliminate foreign exchange fees you were previously charged by your bank or credit card provider.
You can choose to change your billing currency by following these steps. Your Shopify monthly subscription fee amount will be updated to Indian Rupees automatically if you’ve successfully updated your billing currency by following these steps. Once you’re set up for Indian Rupees, sign-up for automated billing by following the steps below:
- Log in to your Shopify store as the store owner
- From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Billing.
- In the Payment methods section, do one of the following (your card must be issued from the list of supported issuers here):
- If you're adding a card for the first time, then click on Add payment method and choose Credit card
- If you’re adding a new card, then click Replace credit card.
- If you’re re-entering your card, then click the ‘...’ button beside your card, and then click Replace.
- Enter your card information and India billing address.
- Click Replace credit card.
- Once your card is added, you will be redirected to our secure payment partner - Razorpay - to permit Shopify to automatically charge your card each month. After successful completion, you will be redirected back to Shopify.
*If your Shopify bill exceeds 5,000 Rupees, you will receive a pre-debit SMS notification and will be required to follow the link to approve the payment on your bank’s website.
Your new monthly subscription fees will then be charged in Rupee, as per the plan prices below.
For more information, or if you encounter any difficulties with the process above, you can learn more in our Shopify Help Docs or contact Shopify Support - we’re here to help!